For someone who has always enjoyed reading and writing, the challenge for me has always been this: what? Out of all the subjects on which I'd like to read and write, simply put, which ones to choose? I've literally come up with dozens of ideas of topics I'd like to blog on, and finally I've come to the realization that I can't really choose, and I certainly can't maintain a separate blog for each topic I've considered.
Furthermore, trying to force oneself into choosing singular subjects can be paralyzing, and in the end, tying yourself into a single subject and a schedule will take the fun out of blogging and turn it into a scheduled responsibility. So, I'm trying something new. I'm going to start maintaining my health/diet/weight loss blog again on a regular basis, hopefully a post per week or so, but here, I'm going to write ad libitum on a number of subjects that I'm passionate about or that just simply interest or intrigue me in some way.
When I titled the blog Ad Libitum, using the Latin term that I've mostly seen used in my work as a professional musician, where the term means to play or sing in an improvisatory or unrestricted fashion, I'm taking the definition ("at one's pleasure") to heart. I'll be blogging when I can, where I can, and about whatever inspires me when I sit down at the keyboard. I won't promise a timeline for posts, and I won't promise that the variety will always equal out.
Posts will probably include, as some of my primary interests, music, sports, travel, graphic and web design, health, philosophy, faith, technology, literature, film, TV shows, but won't be limited to those topics, either. I'm hoping this approach will encourage my creativity rather than stunt it, and I'm looking forward to writing on all these subjects. I will probably title similarly categorized posts accordingly, and I'll try to come up with a cohesive organization of posts if/when a pattern emerges.
Until then, I hope anyone who reads my writing (and if it's only me and my lovely wife, that's fine too!) enjoys what they read, and especially, can come to appreciate in some way that I'm writing for pure enjoyment and creative outlet!
looking forward to it, brother. improv writing is totally the only way to live.
ReplyDelete